Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tabasco Burger

I’m from a small town in Kentucky, where the classic “Pool Room Cheeseburger” reigns supreme! However, the burger I’m going to tell you about is nothing like the Pool Room Cheeseburger… which is why I was extremely skeptical at first. But after the first bite, I was won over… and so was my husband.

This recipe is 96% Pioneer Woman. The remaining 4% is made up of small, almost insignificant changes, that I made based on my surroundings;
 
What you’ll need, aka. Ingredients:
2 pounds 80/20 Ground Beef
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Tabasco Sauce, to Taste (I used Cholula; market was out of Tabasco)
2 tablespoons Butter
1 whole Red Onion, Sliced
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Real Mayonnaise (I use Hellmann’s)
Kaiser Rolls
1 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
Your Favorite Mixed Lettuce
16145440_710146560145_384782615_o
The Step-by-Step, aka. Instructions:
Place the 80/20 ground beef into a medium mixing bowl. (80/20 will stay juicer and more flavorful, just trust me.) Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper to the meat.
16145188_710146555155_393290273_o
Add a few dashes of Tabasco/Hot sauce. I like things spicy, so I added about 10 dashes.
16196175_710146590085_379990577_o
With clean hands, give the meat a good ole mixing. Set aside.
16196220_710146585095_139418505_o
Slice the red onion (not too thick, not too thin). Hack: cut the onion in half from top to bottom, then lay each half on its side, cut off the top and bottom, then slice away. Next, for the onions, heat a skillet over medium heat and add in 2 tablespoons butter.
16129375_710146634995_1682068403_o
When the butter has melted toss in the onions, and 2 generous tablespoons of brown sugar.
16145484_710146684895_1593624198_o
Give the onions a toss to combine the ingredients, and then allow them to caramelize over a medium to low heat for about twenty minutes, tossing occasionally… while we prepare the other ingredients and cook the burger itself.
16130160_710146709845_2024383398_o
While the onions are caramelizing, make the spicy mayo: Place 1/4 cup mayonnaise into a small bowl…
16129240_710146704855_2101453092_o
And add a few dashes of Tabasco/Hot Sauce. Stir together and test for taste. I added more Hot Sauce after my taste-test.
16129556_710146739785_1508048634_o
Next, slice the Kaiser rolls in half.
16196830_710146764735_1989473153_o
And spread each half with about 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
16129207_710146769725_1667254499_o
Then throw ’em on a skillet or grill pan over medium heat. We just want to lightly grill/toast the rolls so they’ll be tough enough to hold the spicy mayo… and the burger itself.
16145779_710146774715_1767782218_o
Let the rolls cool on a plate until you’re ready for ’em.
16145557_710146779705_1979775473_o
At this point, I removed the onions from the pan, and put them in a small bowl. I’m going to use the onion skillet to cook the burgers.
16196417_710146789685_1172170977_o
Form the meat into patties… and place on a grill pan or skillet over low to medium heat.
16129403_710146809645_1594359585_o
Allow each to cook about 3 minutes… then flip the burger and cook it for a couple more minutes.
16145240_710146814635_1887142359_o
As the burgers finish cooking, spread the spicy mayo on the Kaiser rolls; the inside of both the top and bottom.
16145110_710146824615_203459228_o
Now, back to the burgers… With tongs, add a heapin helpin’ of the gloriously delicious onions to the top of the patty.
16196752_710146829605_523495828_o
Then immediately add a nice helping of crumbled blue cheese.
16197024_710146839585_2129689777_o
When the burger’s done, use tongs or a spatula to set it on the bottom half of the bun. The blue cheese won’t be melted, but it’ll be nice and soft.
16130070_710146849565_207439890_o
You could serve it like this… It looks yummy, doesn’t it? But there is still one more ingredient.
16197044_710146899465_820573118_o
Place some greens on the top, I like a nice mix of different colors.
16145231_710146904455_1890180977_o
And then toss on the top bun, and enjoy!
16144917_710146914435_809123721_o16129686_710146909445_1496536067_o
I hope you Cook Long and Prosper, and always Cook Like a Champion. Love, the Uncustomary Housewife.
 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s