Spoilers and Many Easter Eggs– with a list of additional Easter Eggs at the end of the post:
So, anyone who has seen a few Suicide Squad trailers will know about the “We’re bad guys, it’s what we do” scene where Harley Quinn delivers her Good Night bat into a shop window to steal a purse. What the trailers don’t show you is what happens next… *Spoiler Alert*… Deadshot walks up to a clothing shop window and stares at a child’s jacket, obviously thinking about his daughter. In this moment, a lot of viewers might think; “man, that’s sad, he misses his daughter” or “awww, he wants to get that jacket for his daughter”. But if you get past Floyd’s adorable daughter you might just notice an Easter Egg; the huge yellow smiley face behind the clothing display that Deadshot is looking at. It closely resembles the Comedian’s badge (Eddie Blake) from the Watchmen. (For those of you who don’t know, the smiley face is on the cover of Watchmen Vol. 1 #1.)
The Watchmen badge, however, has a bloodstain, which (from what I could tell) wasn’t on Deadshot’s display window smiley face… But some fan interpretations of the stain would make this theory even more likely… In Suicide Squad the SKWAD is marching to stop the end of the world… Some Watchmen theories state that the blood on the smiley face represents a clock’s minute hand, pointing to “12 minutes to the hour particularly in an implied connection to the Doomsday Clock, which represents how close the world is to catastrophic destruction” (Watchmen Wiki).
This wouldn’t be the first time a DC movie gives a nod to the Watchmen — Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition is one example– Point of Geeks explained it well;
It’s already been discovered that “The End is Nigh” was spray painted on a billboard in Gotham in the film. However, there was another Easter Egg in the Ultimate Edition that was an ever bigger wink to Watchmen fans. In an added scene in the Ultimate Edition, Clark Kent is investigating recent news stories about the Batman, who has grown increasingly violent and disturbing. One of the articles that is briefly flashed on screen includes this quote: “Batman is acting as judge, jury, and executioner and the GCPD seems to be complicit. If GCPD endorses vigilantes as our city’s watchmen, who watches the watchmen?” (Source: Point of Geeks, Movie Pilot)
So, what does all this mean, is it a shot in the dark—a “Deadshot” in the dark, perhaps? Ha ha.
There are so many more Easter Eggs in Suicide Squad, here are a few;
- Who killed Robin; was it Mr. J or Harley Quinn? Did anyone get a good look at Harley’s description (when all of the text was on the screen– it moved so fast)?
- Bruce Wayne’s strong “shut it down” statement in the mid-credits scene. What does this say for the future of the SKWAD when the Justice League gets together?
- Baby Clothes; when Mr. J lays down in his huge circle of weapons you might notice that there are baby clothes to the outside of the circle. Harley Quinn fans will know that she is a mother in some versions of the story. Not to mention Harley’s beautifully heartbreaking Enchantress vision.
- Arkham Asylum, which may not be an Easter Egg (because it was so obvious) but it was still really cool.
- Jonny Frost — Joker’s right hand man (who I got to meet at ScareFest back when he was in TrueBlood–he was awesome).
- The Flash shown in Captain Boomerang’s flashback, and in the mid-credits scene. We have also seen The Flash in Justice League trailers.
- Aquaman in the mid-credits scene. We have also seen Aquaman in Justice League trailers, and don’t forget that awesome underwater scene in Batman v Superman.
- Also, the Enchantress was in Bruce Wayne’s file in the mid-credits scene; will she be back?
- Midway City; home of Hawkman and Hawkgirl.
- A.R.G.U.S., led by Amanda Waller, which may be supplying resources to the Justice League in their upcoming movie. (A.R.G.U.S.= Armed Revolutionaries Governing Under Secrecy or Anonymous Ranger Group of the United States)
- Ace Chemicals; shown in the crazy and awesome “die for me/live for me” scene between Mr. J and the new Harley Quinn.
- And possibly my favorite; Harley Quinn’s Jester Suit in her flashback sequence.
Like what you’ve read? Check out a few of my other posts;
- I also wrote another blog about some other things I noticed in Suicide Squad; Suicide Squad and the Number 23
- And I wrote one about Harley Quinn’s Jester Suit in Suicide Squad; Harley Quinn’s Jester Suit
- Does your excitement about the DC Universe make you wanna throw a party? Check out the Batman Birthday Party! I threw for myself.